Together Co are thrilled to have been awarded a grant from The Soldiers Charity, to help us further support the army community and their immediate families.
The Soldiers‘ Charity is the national charity of the British Army, providing a lifetime of support to soldiers, veterans and their immediate families when they are in need.
With the help of their grant, Together Co can extend its support to those with links to the army. In the coming months, we plan to launch a bespoke befriending outreach programme, continue to map, track and support veterans, and host a group event for beneficiaries with a focus on army-related stories.
These plans form part of Together Co’s year-long programme of outreach and tailored recruitment of beneficiaries and befriending volunteers, to extend the service’s reach into the (ex-) army community.
We’re already supporting Barry*, who served in Northern Ireland in the 1970’s. He has had recurring mental health issues since leaving the army and has a bipolar diagnosis. He was matched with his befriender Rachel 6 months ago. He said: “Rachel is really good for me, and has become a good friend. I don’t know what I’d do without her. She listens to me. She’s helping me sort out my hoarding. Since I met her I feel more optimistic, relaxed and useful”.
Jo Crease, CEO of Together Co, said: “We are absolutely delighted to receive the support of The Soldiers Charity. This grant will help us increase much needed support to (ex-) Armed Service Personnel in Brighton and Hove. We have already witnessed some great friendships in the making, and look forward to growing this network with bespoke activities and events.”
Together Co is a loneliness charity that creates connections to change lives. We do this through our befriending, social prescribing and volunteering services in Brighton, Hove and beyond, and by sharing our ideas and expertise nationally. In a city of nearly 300,000, no one should be lonely or socially isolated. Together, we can make sure no one is.
How the grant will help
- To support a bespoke programme of outreach and activities to make befriending accessible to individuals with links to the Army.
- To continue our activity to map, track and support elderly beneficiaries who have served with/been connected through close family relations to the army.
- To target these beneficiaries with direct communications about army-related events and information and to alert their befriending volunteers to relevant training.
- We will facilitate a group event with a focus on army related stories aimed at these beneficiaries.
- Also to initiate a year-long programme of outreach and tailored recruitment of beneficiaries and befriending volunteers to extend the service’s reach into the (ex-) army community.
Share with friends
© 2019 Together Collective a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales: Company No. 03895574, whose registered office is Projects The Lanes, Nile House, Nile St, Brighton BN1 1HW. Together Collective is a registered charity: Charity No. 1083390