Everybody should have somebody. We match people with people to create friendships that make life better. We’ve been doing so for over 20 years. In that time, we’ve seen loneliness eased and lives changed – all through the simple power of human connection.
14,200 hours of support given
Create valuable friendships
We know making new friends isn’t always easy. We can help by matching you with a befriender who lives locally and who you can meet with regularly.
“I feel my befriender is part of my family. I am so grateful.”
Share interests & experiences
When we match people we consider their backgrounds and interests – we’ll tell you some basic things about each other to help you both feel comfortable when you first meet. Being able to talk about your thoughts and the things you like makes it easy for a friendship to grow naturally.
Improve confidence & self-esteem
As well as social visiting, a befriender can help you with things you’re not too confident with – like going out to the shops or the doctors.
“My befriender visits, takes me out, and takes me to hospital appointments. They’re a friend now who comes for a cuppa and chat. We have a laugh.”
Live happier & healthier lives
We all deserve to feel happy and healthy. Befriending is a simple way of connecting with others, which can be a big help – both for you and your befriender.
“Over five years, the person I visit and I have developed a meaningful and personal relationship that means a lot to us.”
- You – or a friend, family member, or professional working with you – can get in touch with us by telephone, email or post. We can help if you’re over 50, or have a physical or sensory disability or chronic condition, or you’re a carer.
- When we receive your details, one of our team will contact you for a chat.
- We’ll then start looking for the right befriender to visit you, based on details like where you live and your interests. This can take some time, so we’ll keep in touch through our newsletter and occasional phone calls.
- When we think we’ve found a good match, we’ll contact you and the befriender to check you’re both happy to meet each other.
- You’ll start to meet regularly, on your own terms.
- We’ll keep in touch, and you can contact us if you ever need to talk about something.
Please contact us if you or someone you know would like our support, or if you have any questions.
Volunteer as a Befriender
It’s amazing what we can achieve together. Give us a little of your time and we’ll help you make a big difference in your local community.
Latest Befriending post
© 2019 Together Collective a Company Limited by Guarantee registered in England and Wales: Company No. 03895574, whose registered office is Intergen House, 65-67 Western Rd, Hove BN3 2JQ. Together Collective is a registered charity: Charity No. 1083390